Bloggtoppen

Blogg listad på Bloggtoppen.se

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Linköping hospital

My mom and I took the hospital bus from Kalmar at 7.25 am. The bus was very nice. It had room for about 50 patients. Most of the other patients were a lot older than me. At the back of the bus there was a bed and a computer and microwave owns etc, it was a well-equipped bus I must say. There was 2 ambulance staff on it too, they drove. They served sandwiches and coffee on the way there and on the way back and they were very helpful.
We got to the hospital at 11.00 am.

First I got to speak with the doctor that gave me some information. He basically said that the radiotherapy is not that strong and the side effects probably won´t affect me so much. The skin can get red and sour and also I might experience pain when I swallow because they are targeting the sides of my neck and in my chest. I will receive 17 treatments.

After the conversation with the doctor, the nurses placed me on this “pillow” that they formed around my body. They made it so that I can lie still when they treat me. It has the shape of my upper body contour: head, neck and back.

The last thing I did at the hospital yesterday was to do a CT-scan again. It is so that they can see exactly where the tumors’ are placed in my body so that they know what area to target.

Info:
Computed tomography (CT) is a medical imaging method employing tomography created by computer processing. Digital geometry processing is used to generate a three-dimensional image of the inside of an object from a large series of two-dimensional X-ray images taken around a single axis of rotation.
CT produces a volume of data which can be manipulated, through a process known as "windowing", in order to demonstrate various bodily structures based on their ability to block the X-ray beam. Although historically the images generated were in the axial or transverse plane, orthogonal to the long axis of the body, modern scanners allow this volume of data to be reformatted in various planes or even as volumetric (3D) representations of structures.


The bus left to go back to Kalmar at 12:45 pm. We even had time to eat lunch before we left. It was easy to find the way in the hospital. There was a restaurant and computers etc at the entrance and everything seemed very newly renovated. The nurses and the doctors were all very kind and it felt like they knew what they were doing. I have not had that feeling in Kalmar I must say…

So the plan is now to go back to Linköping on the 2/11 to do the first real preparations for the treatment. I got the time 14:20 for the next visit which means that I won’t be able to come back home that day. I will stay at the hostel instead.
Then on the 3/11 I will get my first treatment. On th 25/11 I will get the last one. The nurses said that I can decide for myself what times I want to come in at. So I can choose if I want to take the bus every day or if I want to stay at the hostel sometimes. I have decided to start taking the bus and if it is too much hard work doing that I will stay in Linköping the odd night or two.

How to make a "vaccum-pillow"
CT-scan

No comments: